During my recent Facebook live chat a few people mentioned that eating out can be an issue. I have found that too. Sometimes I chose to eat off plan as such and eat what I want on a meal out. However many times I stick to plan too. If you are wanting to stick to plan but enjoy a meal out here are my top tips!
1. Have a good look over the menu and even the children’s menu. See if there is anything that fits perfectly with your healthy eating or weight loss plan.
2. Check what potato options they do, even if they are not on your meal of choice. If they do a jacket potato on another meal they are likely to be able to swap it for you though there may be an extra charge.
3. Ask how vegetables are cooked and if they have any butter on. A meal could sound innocent but if the vegetables are piled with butter that you don’t need you can usually ask for it without!
4. Ask for any dressings or sauces to be put in a separate container on the side. That way if you do chose to have them you have a better idea of how much you have had. If they seem very fattening or there is too much you can leave it!
5. Consider the side dishes. If your meal doesn’t have much in the way of salad of vegetables order a side of them to add on.
6. If everyone else is having a starter does that mean you have to? If you don’t want to be left out you could have a side salad as a starter if the listed starters don’t sound as healthy as you would like.
7. Why is it when you go out for a meal everyone has cake or ice-cream afterwards. If you don’t want to feel left out you could have a child’s dessert. They are a little smaller and just as yummy!
8. Think about your drinks. Take sweetener with you just in case where you are eating doesn’t have any and you fancy a hot drink. Look at any flavoured tea they may have if you want a change from black coffee and don’t want to use syns/calories or whatever you count.
9. Take your own salad dressing. I have done this many times before and if you have it in a bag people rarely notice. If you are ordering their food most eateries wont really mind you adding your own dressing anyway!
10. Consider whether you are drinking alcoholic drinks and plan in advance what you will have and how many. This way you can stay in control. I often opt to be the nominated driver so that I know I wont be tempted to drink and then just drink diet coke!
11. Don’t be afraid to lie! If they say they can not swap something but you are pretty sure it wouldn’t be too much of an issue as they already stock the other item offer to pay more if necessary. Alternatively you could lie and say you have an allergy so are unable to have the original item. Do be aware though this may then backfire if for example you say you can not have chips as you are allergic to fish and they may be cooked in the same fryer, they may tell you that they are cooked separately!
Obviously you can chose to eat completely off plan if you like as the choice is yours. One meal off plan in a week of 21 meals wont do too much damage. I did this the other day and those who follow me on Instagram will have seen my amazing choice of cake! The choice is yours just remember it is your journey and one set back doesn’t have to ruin it.
If you enjoy reading my blog please do feel free to click through the different tabs to find weight loss tips, reviews, lifestyle articles, giveaways, recipes and lots more!
If you would like to sign up to receive my weekly newsletter containing all that weeks posts direct to your inbox so you never miss a giveaway or post that might interest you just pop your email address in the box below and you will get a FREE one week Meal Plan designed by me! Don’t forget to also click to the confirmation email you will receive. You can unsubscribe at any time.