One of the main reasons people often give up on their weight loss is that they say cooking different meals is taking too much time. Another is that it is easy to be tempted off plan by the kids! So, with this is mind and having followed Slimming World for some time now I thought I would give you my guide to Slimming World from a busy mum perspective. It is not like celebrities with personal trainers, a chef and a nanny. We have to juggle and manage remembering sometimes to put ourselves first!
- Do they need to have sugary cereals that will tempt you? Give them something you can have too, porridge is great when its cold and they will love something different.
- If you can then all eat together – less opportunity to pick at theirs.
- Throw their leftovers in the bin straight away or get them to so you don’t eat them.
- Add fruit to everyone’s breakfast.
- If you don’t have time to weigh your cereal then when you buy the pack weigh out into food bags the entire box then its easy to grab in the mornings.
- If you have toast just buy the one you can have – if you buy them white thick crust you are more likely to eat it!
- If you don’t have time to prepare your lunch in the morning then could you do it the evening before?
- Make extra of an evening meal to have for lunch the following day.
- Don’t buy the kids things for their lunches that will be in the house tempting you. They don’t need crisps and chocolate, a healthy yoghurt, sandwich, drink and fruit is more than fine.
- Make time for lunch – it is easy not to when you are busy but if you miss lunch you are likely to just pick throughout the day on things you shouldn’t!
- Make sure even if you are home alone it is built into your meal plan so you cant miss it or be stuck with nothing in!
- Plan a meal that everyone loves so that you can make it healthily and suitable for everyone. The Slimming World plan is just healthy eating there is no reason it wouldn’t be suitable for most children (and partners!).
- Try to all eat together because if you eat after the children you are more likely to pick on their leftovers because you are hungry.
- If you are usually hungry when you are preparing food then plan for this and have some grapes, carrot sticks or similar to pick on while you are cooking.
- Only give the children the amount they will eat that way they are less likely to have tempting leftovers.
- If you have left overs when serving up put them in a container for another day immediately. There is less chance then of you nibbling at unneeded extra bits when you tidy up the kitchen.
- Do you need a dessert? For many people this is part of the meal however why not have fat free fromage frais and fruit?
- If you wish to buy children sweets or crisps buy ones you don’t like so you wont be tempted to eat them.
- Ensure you always have a full fruit bowl with fruit everyone enjoys and make that the usual in between meals snack.
- Have a set snack time rather than a constant nibbling.
- If you are out of the house take snacks with you, even if you choose to buy snacks for the children at least take your own out.
Choosing Meals for Everyone
These are my favourite family friendly meals that are full of flavour but not too spicy for younger children and worth having a look at.
There are so many more in my recipes section so do take a look!
Meal Planning Weekly
The biggest key is weekly meal planning which makes the shopping easier too freeing up more time for yourself and less time in the supermarket! When you plan your meals there is less chance of you going off plan and you spend less time dithering in the kitchen wondering what to make for a meal! There are so many reasons meal planning is amazing I actually wrote a post all about it here.
If you would like a ready made meal plan for you for a week then pop your email address below to get your free meal plans and printable planning sheet. I will also send you my weekly email with new recipes etc but you can unsubscribe at any time.[mailerlite_form form_id=1]