Eating as a family can be difficult when we all lead busy lives and have different work hours. It can really help you to lose weight though in my opinion. So by doing this not only will you have quality family time but you will also be more likely to lose weight at the same time! Here is why I believe that.
- By eating at the same time as the children you are less likely to pick at their left overs as you have just eaten and are already full so its easy to scrape them straight into the bin.
- If you all eat together it makes it easier to all eat the same meal and as such all eat healthily and without high calorie foods for the kids to tempt you.
- I find it is so easy to snack while you are preparing a meal. If you are preparing an evening meal on two or more occasions every evening then that could be at least double the amount of unnecessary snacking!
- Eating at the table instead of in front of the TV reduces the amount you eat. This is because you are not mindlessly eating while your mind is elsewhere.
- When you are all eating together you are more conscious of what you are putting on your plate and sneaking that extra bread roll is less likely.
- By only having one meal to prepare you have more time to do so and can pay more attention to the details making it healthier.
- You cant skip meals. This is something I tend to slip into and then make myself so hungry I snack on things I shouldn’t. If you have a family meal time you just cant skip it can you.
Not only will eating as a family help you to be healthy and lose weight but think of all those good habits it is teaching your children too. They will see that everyone eats vegetables, that eating with no distraction is good. As Ben is getting older too and becoming more like a teenager I think it is a great time to chat about the day too and get a bit of conversation that doesn’t revolve around the Xbox!
Can you make sure you have a family meal at least once this week?
If you would like a ready made 7 day meal plan (well actually a couple and a blank one!) that is suitable for all the family to enjoy then pop your email address below to get your free meal plans and printable planning sheet. I will also send you my weekly email with new recipes etc but you can unsubscribe at any time.