If you follow Slimming World then you are likely to know about the SP plan. It is a short term plan designed to help you lose weight a little quicker than the standard plan. Essentially it is a low carbohydrates plan. Many people follow low carb weight loss plans as it is widely believed and found by many that reducing carbs can help accelerate weight loss. Of course like anything it is all about moderation and being sensible because lets face it if you ate high fat and high sugar but low carb foods the chances of you losing weight are limited. So with this in mind I thought I would share with you some of my favourite low carb swaps for anyone on a low carb weight loss plan or following Slimming World SP.
The principal of the SP plan from Slimming World is that half your plate is protein foods such as eggs, beans, lean meat etc and the other half is speed foods which are many fruit and vegetables such as carrots, apples, butternut squash, mushrooms, swede, and many more.
My favourite Speed foods:
Butternut squash, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, swede, peppers, melon, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, broccoli, cauliflower, just to name a few!
My favourite Protein foods:
As a vegetarian I don’t eat meat and fish which of course are classed as protein foods however I do still enjoy many protein foods such as eggs, quark, Quorn pieces, Quorn fillets, Quorn mince, baked beans, chick peas, peas and tofu.
My favourite meals that follow SP without adaptions for me and my family
Sausage casserole (as long as the sausages as suitable on SP)
Curry Loaf (perfect as a snack for in the fridge!)
Many Soups are SP suitable check out mine here and if they don’t contain potato they mostly should be suitable.
Rosemary and red onion mini quiches (again great for in the fridge)
Mediterranean Vegetables in a Balsamic Tomato Sauce (great with omelette/chicken/Quorn breast)
Meals that I make with a few Adaptions
Gardeners Pie – I have made this suitable for an SP day previously by swapping the mashed potatoes for mashed swede and the parsnips for swede or extra carrots.
Lasagne – I have made this with butternut squash sheets before, I would say though whilst it is lovely it does change the taste completely so don’t expect it to taste like a normal Lasagne!
Rice – When having rice as a side dish I enjoy cauliflower rice as an alternative but if you want to give it a bit more taste then making Cauliflower pilau rice is delicious. Another option is egg fried cauliflower rice which is also good.
Spaghetti can be swapped for spiralised butternut squash or courgette. Personally I prefer butternut squash as find the courgette seems a bit slimy if you’re not careful.
Chips can be made with swede, butternut squash or carrot if you still want something similar with a meal and all are lovely though none go as crispy as potato chips do.
Microwaving a whole swede and then digging out the centre is a lovely mashed potato substitute.
A few SP Tips
- If you are buying cauliflower rice rather than making your own check the ingredients. Many are just cauliflower however I recently noticed the frozen one from Iceland that you microwave in individual bags includes oil and is 1.5 syns a bag!
- If you worry about not being as full without carbs then don’t panic, with plenty of speed foods and protein foods you will be fine.
- If you have a very active job or exercise a lot be careful when trying an SP day as the energy you have can be different.
- Find meals you enjoy and don’t see it as a diet and restrictions or you will mentally make it harder for yourself.
- Remember the Slimming World Plan is half and half of S and P foods, and no other foods (except syns and healthy extras) that will give you the best results. Or its always helpful just to cut down a little on the carbs without doing a full SP day.
- Smile and don’t make it a chore because if it is you will soon give up and binge on something you shouldn’t if you are anything like me!!
If you have enjoyed this post or found it helpful please do share it in Slimming World groups you are in to help others and also help me to spread the Just Average Jen smile!
Don’t forget if you don’t want to miss any of my weight loss tips or you want to try my meal plans then sign up for my emails. You can unsubscribe at any time if its not for you and I wont use your emails for anything else.[mailerlite_form form_id=1]