Recently I have been looking for a gym to join and I am still very undecided about what is right for me. I also am wondering if getting back into running is better than the gym too. It is a decision I am so undecided on but I thought I would share with you 9 things to consider before you join a gym.
- Can you afford it? IF there is an introductory offer can you afford the full price?
- How long is the contract? Will you realistically go for that long?
- Is it somewhere you will put off going because of the traffic at certain times of day?
- Will you realistically walk or drive there as often as you plan? Even when the weather is bad?
- Do they hold classes you are interested in at times to suit you?
- Will you even do classes? If not then maybe join a gym where classes aren’t included in the price so its cheaper?
- Do you have to pay extra for classes? If so work out the total monthly cost and see if it still appeals.
- Will you go alone? If not do you have friends at that gym?
- Go for a visit at the sort of time you would want to go. Is there enough equipment or would you be waiting for treadmills for example?
- Do you want a gym with a swimming pool and sauna?
Their Other Branches
- If you were to change jobs or move house would they cancel your membership or do they have other suitable branches?
- Do you ever work away? If so do they have a branch there?
- Do any of the local gyms (don’t forget to check council run ones) offer a discount for people who work where you do?
- Are you only joining for one piece of equipment? Would it be cheaper to buy or hire that piece alone?
Friends and Family
- Do they go somewhere you want to go? Do you want to avoid them or work out together? Ask around before you join.
- Sometimes friends or family get a bonus for referring a friend or can get you a discount so this is worth checking too.
Try it first
- Most gyms will let you have a day trial or even a weekend trial. Take advantage of this if you don’t get the right feeling for the place don’t join!
- Check online, phone up, ask friends, some offers for free trials are only on their website or social media. Have a good look so you don’t miss out.
Whatever you do give it some thought. Don’t do what I have done in the past and join but then never go. £35 a month might not seem too bad but if you go for one month of a 12 month contract then its expensive! Give it some thought and don’t be a Jen, only join if you are going to stick to it! #don’tbeaJen