These egg and black bean burritos are perfect for all the family to enjoy with a handful of salad as a summery meal that fills you up nicely.
How to use black beans
Black beans are one of my favourite ingredients – I’m sure you know that by now. I have a number of easy black bean recipes you should give a try but more about those shortly.
Some of the recipes I have that use black beans are:
- Beef in black bean sauce (can be made with Quorn)
- Black bean and quinoa veggie burgers
- Black bean bowl
What are black beans?
Black beans are versatile and packed with protein, fibre and iron, making them a great addition to your diet. You may also come across them in recipes as black turtle beans. All turtle beans are black beans, but not all black beans are turtle beans as the turtle variety tend to be smaller in size and milder in flavour. However, any black bean can be used within this recipe.
For ease, this recipe used tinned black beans, although you can use dried if you prefer. Having said that, they will need to be soaked before use, so tinned are much simpler and quicker for this delicious dish.
A great summer meal
During the summer months, I often crave a meal jam-packed with flavour but lighter on my stomach. This recipe ticks those boxes. One tortilla wrap containing the egg and black bean mixture is enough to satisfy me. It’s also a great shout for a lunch meal during the winter months when you want something warm.
It’s a simple-to-make recipe and doesn’t take too long at all. My favourite kind of meal – tasty but quick and easy!
Step by step instructions to make these burritos
Start by getting your ingredients out and ready.
Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl.
Cook, stirring until egg mixture starts to form soft curds, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Using a potato masher, mash the beans with lime juice.
Top evenly with salsa,
Then add the scrambled eggs
Fold up the bottom of tortillas first, then fold in sides and roll up tightly.
This website is in no way affiliated with Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Noom or any other weight loss plan and no contributors have been trained by them or worked for them. It is the reader’s responsibility to check syn values, points and allowances themselves on the appropriate website or app as those given are approximate.
Enjoying these healthy black bean burritos on Slimming World
Queso Fresco cheese is quite difficult to get in the UK so I would recommend using soft goats cheese as an alternative. The syns for soft goats cheese are 3.5 syns per 25g (approx). So the cheese in this recipe as a whole amount to a total of 7.5 syns (approx).
For this reason, I would suggest being safe I would count this recipe as 11 syns per portion but as always the choice is yours.
Weight loss and Exercise Support
Have a good look around and see how I can help you achieve your weight loss goals. Request my free resources to get you started too!Print
Easy egg and black bean burritos perfect for an easy filling family meal and can be enjoyed with salad for a quick summery meal.
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 6 large eggs
- low-calorie cooking spray
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 75g crumbled queso fresco cheese or goats cheese is a good alternative
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- handful of fresh coriander
1. Whisk the eggs with salt and pepper in a bowl. In a large nonstick frying pan, spray with low-calorie cooking spray and place over medium-low heat; pour in egg mixture. Cook, stirring until egg mixture starts to form soft curds, about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Using a potato masher, mash the beans with lime juice. Arrange tortillas on a clean surface; spread mashed beans down along the centre of each tortilla. Top evenly with salsa, scrambled eggs, coriander and crumbled cheese.
3. Fold up the bottom of tortillas first, then fold in sides and roll up tightly.
Free gifts for you
Are you struggling to exercise, lose weight or feel good about yourself? The free resources and support programmes I have to help you might be just what you need! Check them out by clicking the image below!