Recently I have been looking for a gym to join and I am still very undecided about what is right for me. I also am wondering if getting back into running is better than the gym too. It is a decision I am so undecided on but I thought I would share with you 9 things to consider before you join a gym.
- Can you afford it? If there is an introductory offer can you afford the full price?
- How long is the contract? Will you realistically go for that long?
- Is it somewhere you will put off going because of the traffic at certain times of day?
- Will you realistically walk or drive there as often as you plan? Even when the weather is bad?
- Do they hold classes you are interested in at times to suit you?
- Will you even do classes? If not then maybe join a gym where classes aren’t included in the price so its cheaper?
- Do you have to pay extra for classes? If so work out the total monthly cost and see if it still appeals.
- Will you go alone? If not do you have friends at that gym?
- Go for a visit at the sort of time you would want to go. Is there enough equipment or would you be waiting for treadmills for example?
- Do you want a gym with a swimming pool and sauna?
Their Other Branches
- If you were to change jobs or move house would they cancel your membership or could this cause stress? Do they have other suitable branches?
- Do you ever work away? If so do they have a branch there?
- Do any of the local gyms (don’t forget to check council run ones) offer a discount for people who work where you do?
- Are you only joining for one piece of equipment? Would it be cheaper to buy or hire that piece alone? Here are some tips of equipment you may need for your home gym.
Friends and Family
- Do they go somewhere you want to go? Do you want to avoid them or work out together? Ask around before you join.
- Sometimes friends or family get a bonus for referring a friend or can get you a discount so this is worth checking too.
Try it first
- Most gyms will let you have a day trial or even a weekend trial. Take advantage of this if you don’t get the right feeling for the place don’t join!
- Check online, phone up, ask friends, some offers for free trials are only on their website or social media. Have a good look so you don’t miss out.
Whatever you do give it some thought. Don’t do what I have done in the past and join but then never go. £35 a month might not seem too bad but if you go for one month of a 12 month contract then its expensive! Give it some thought and don’t be a Jen, only join if you are going to stick to it! #don’tbeaJen
More you may find helpful
To read all my posts with tips and experiences of various diets, exercises and lots more check out my comprehensive Weight Loss and Exercise section.
Free gifts for you
Are you struggling to exercise, lose weight or feel good about yourself? The free resources and support programmes I have to help you might be just what you need! Check them out by clicking the image below!